Friday, March 18, 2011

The Homeschool Mother's Journal ~ 5

The Homeschool Mother's Journal

In my life this week...

This week has been crazy!  We've been trying to settle into our "new-to-us" house, getting pictures and curtains hung, washing woodworks, and organizing and re-organizing.  In the midst of all that Sunshyne gets sick and needed to take off from schooling.  Charlie Brown started back working at his job, and Rj... well, was just being RJ.

My mother is feeling better but is having some issues with medical staff at the long-term care facility, which has been stressful and draining for me.  That along with a Girl Scout meeting and ceremony, Doctor appointments, and still trying to get RJ to his Toddler time, has been extremely taxing.  I can safely say I'm glad this week is OVER!




In our homeschool this week...

The focus this week has been on RJ since he was the only one showing up for class.  He chose to work on a lot of puzzles this week and has been fascinated with the outdoors.  I've enjoyed spending time taking him places and hanging out with my miniature person:)

I think he's getting that chairs are to be sat in and not climbed.  I caught him several times this week sitting at the table with a pencil or crayon in hand.  Now if I could just get him to scribble on paper we'd be into something.  On second thought I do sort of like the beauty of art on the classroom table...how festive!



Places we're going and people we're seeing...

I took RJ along with me on a trip to Lakeshore Learning Center...I love that place.  He seemed to love it too!  He didn't want to stay in the basket.  He toddled through the isle ways checking out different activities and giving some the stamp of approval from his expert opinion.  He observed people as they came and went, from the safety of his death-grip to my leg.  He even climbed up a stack of classroom dividers to look out the window at some men working construction nearby.  He was completely fascinated!
He sometimes gave a bashful smile at ladies as they spoke to him with friendly smiles.
We picked out a new chunky puzzle to add to our work station and went out for a special treat.

I enjoy moments like these because they are real-life learning situations.  Guiding him as he interacts with his community is priceless. 



My favorite thing this week was...

Definitely spending one-on-one time with RJ.  Taking him on little field trips in the community and watching his expressions as he observed something new or interesting.



What's working/not working for us...

All the stress is not working for us right now.  I have too many balls in the air and I'm looking forward to putting some of that down and regaining a state of equilibrium.



Homeschool questions/thoughts I have...

My friend invited us to a informational session with Classical Conversations.  I didn't make it to the meeting but I'm interested in learning more about the group.  I guess I'm hoping the curriculum is not to rigid because I like to be creative and I'm spontaneous with my homeschooling as well.  I love my flexibility and don't want to give that up with a structured program.  Any thoughts would be helpful on the topic.



A photo, video, link, or quote to share...



~Blessings~
Claudea B.



2 comments:

moreofhim said...

What a precious picture of your little one!! I agree totally with you - it's wonderful watching our children learn as they interact with the world at large with Mom near by. I absolutely loved homeschooling for that reason.

I hope everything starts settling down for you and all feel better. Stress really is so hard!!

God bless you - Julie

Laura Lee said...

Classical Conversations is surely the thread to watch this week! Lots are wondering about it, checking it out, or signing up. I'm with you: I'd worry it might cage my creativity! Let us know what'cha think.